Are you an employer in the retail industry? If so, you may be affected by recent and upcoming changes to penalty rates under the General Retail Industry Award 2010.
From 1 March 2020, penalty rates for casual employees increased as follows:
- Weekday evenings (ordinary hours after 6pm Monday to Friday) – 140% (inclusive of the casual loading). For future planning purposes note this rate will increase again on 1 October 2020 and on 1 March 2021.
- Saturday ordinary hours – 150% (inclusive of the casual loading).
From 1 July 2020, Sunday penalty rates for full-time, part-time and casual employees will decrease as follows:
- Full-time and part-time non-shiftworkers on Sundays – 150%.
- Full-time and part-time shiftworkers on Sundays – 175%.
- Casual shiftworkers on Sundays – 200% (inclusive of the casual loading).
Employers should ensure that they understand which employees are affected and apply the new penalty rates to those employees. If you have questions about how the changes may affect your business, please contact us. Our experienced lawyers are here to help.
Disclaimer: The information contained this article is general and intended as a guide only. Professional advice should be sought before applying any of the information to particular circumstances. While every reasonable care has been taken in the preparation of this update, Aitken Legal does not accept liability for any errors it may contain. Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.