Modern awards will be extensively varied in 2020 as the 4-yearly review of awards starts to come to an end.
The Fair Work Commission has released the first group of 31 varied awards which will come into effect on 4 February 2020. The changes made include various award specific variations as well as restructuring, technical and drafting changes.
Employers can review the updated versions of the 31 varied awards before they commence next year through the Fair Work Commission website (click on the link in the ‘Future awards’ column). We have provided a list of the 31 varied awards below.
More changes to come
The updated versions of the remaining 91 awards will be released shortly.
However, that will not be the end of the 4-yearly review or the final versions of the awards. There are some outstanding issues still being determined and subsequent changes to awards will be made up until the 4-yearly review comes to an end, likely later in 2020.
Changes to awards should then slow down considerably with changes then only made on application by a party or at the Commission’s own initiative.
What should employers do
It is vital that employers are on top of the changes being made to the Award/s relevant to their workplace and employees. Failure to comply with an Award carries hefty penalties for the business and any individual who is an accessory to the breach.
Tip: You can sign up to receive notifications of changes to your Award/s on the Fair Work Commission website here
Whilst Aitken Legal will endeavour to post updates on significant changes made to awards, it is vital that employers take all necessary precautions to ensure that they keep on top of the changes themselves.
If you have any queries or would like more detailed advice about the specific changes being made to your award/s and what it means for your business, please contact us.
The 31 varied Awards to take effect from 4 February 2020
- Aluminium Industry Award 2010
- Ambulance and Patient Transport Industry Award 2010
- Animal Care and Veterinary Services Award 2010
- Aquaculture Industry Award 2010
- Banking, Finance and Insurance Award 2010
- Book Industry Award 2010
- Car Parking Award 2010
- Coal Export Terminals Award 2010
- Cement and Lime Award 2010
- Cemetery Industry Award 2010
- Corrections and Detentions (Private Sector) Award 2010
- Cotton Ginning Award 2010
- Electrical Power Industry Award 2010
- Gardening and Landscaping Services Award 2010
- Hydrocarbons Industry (Upstream) Award 2010
- Legal Services Award 2010
- Market and Social Research Award 2010
- Medical Practitioners Award 2010
- Nursery Award 2010
- Oil Refining and Manufacturing Award 2010
- Port Authorities Award 2010
- Premixed Concrete Award 2010
- Racing Industry Ground Maintenance Award 2010
- Real Estate Industry Award 2010
- Seafood Processing Award 2010
- Silviculture Award 2010
- Sporting Organisations Award 2010
- State Government Agencies Award 2010
- Surveying Award 2010
- Travelling Shows Award 2010
- Water Industry Award 2010
Disclaimer: The information contained this article is general and intended as a guide only. Professional advice should be sought before applying any of the information to particular circumstances. While every reasonable care has been taken in the preparation of this update, Aitken Legal does not accept liability for any errors it may contain. Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.